Did Vettel ruin Daniil Kvyat's F1 Career?

Leave a Comment
Ah yes, the beginning of the 2016 season. So exciting!
I could not wait for it to start!

Remember seeing all those shiny white highlights on the new Ferrari, matching those gleaming pearly whites of Sebastian Vettel's smile? So happy and eager was he to spit out some Italiano, chase a meatball around a plate at Maurizio's house and get to work taking Ferrari's bizness all up in Mercedes's face. Seb was pretty revved up (wah-wahhhh) to kick some serious F1 ass. After all, he's a World Champion working for the Formula One equivalent of God (No, not you Bernie.) It's easy money, right? How hard could it be? Well, the answer to that innocent query is turning out to be ... pretty fucking hard. Right now at the summer break, the ass getting kicked is Vettel's and bad luck is firmly wearing the boot.

Australia, duffed into the grass. Bahrain saw the SF16-H kickin' out smoke like Bond trying to get away from Goldfinger's security men and then came the first love note from Daniil, made in China. I don't think that would have been such a problem but Kvyat caused Vettel to smack it into the Iceman and colour doesn't hit colour yo (unless it's silver, or blue, or yellow, matte or maybe even white.) This was about losing face. Daniil made Vettel break the cardinal rule in front of the boss and worse, when confronted about it, Kvyat dismissed it with a "that's racing" and a flippant what's the big deal? "we're both on the podium" comment. In Vettels' defence, he later retracted his genuine honesty with a more sadly, current F1 diplomatic and sporting "race incident" and a "let's move on" higher ground response. Remember the pearly white smile comment? Well, that's the last we'd see of Daniil's.

You know, in fairness (*sigh) I guess I should let you know I'm not a big fan of Sebastian Vettel. He comes across to me as being pretty arrogant. A tad bit of a fucking whiner as if he's entitled to space, to points, to fame and results. Sure, he's seagull funny but he's not bust a gut funny. To me, he's like some kind of first generation robot comedian funny, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he, one day on the podium, reaches up and takes off his face revealing a ton of wires and blinking lights. However,  I will say this for him, he's German clinical. Every time I see him get out of his car, he's giving that Mercedes a once over with laser like precision. Even after getting podium, he's hardly relieved, he's glued to the timing screen, analyzing both himself and his competitor's numbers. You can see why he's a four timer but Sebastian now, is under the gun. His own perfectionism. His self-imposed responsibility to the team. Kimi's doing good if not outperforming him. The pressure for Arrivabene's job security is ramping up and being placed firmly on driver #1's shoulders and it is very, very heavy, my friend.

Okay so back on track (see what I did right there?) oh Lord, came Sochi. The Russian's home race. I remember sitting in front of the TV and saying to my friend, "Man, if Vettel gets hit again, it better not be Kvyat. Haha, I'd like to see that!" .... Then the f-bombs cometh.
"Oh for fuck's sake man! Who the fuck? Motherfucker! I'm out! Crash! Somebody hit me in the fucking rear, T2. Somebody hit me in the fucking rear again T3. For fuck's sake. Honestly! What the fuck are we doing here?" Playing ping pong? ... Hahaha, Vettel feeling the pressure? You think?

And OMG Daniil, once was bad enough but dude, twice? WTF? Was it Kvyat's fault? You bet. Did Kvyat make his own F1 career bed? Hmmm, maybe. Was it the last straw for Vettel? Ask the guy on the back of this bike. (Uhhhh, let me hold your helmet sir. Please don't kill me.) Vettel was on his way back to the pits with his emotional DRS wide open.


I'm sure a lot of people were absolutely dying to tell Vettel it was Daniil who poked him twice and more importantly, put him out of the race and needed points but it wasn't until Vettel got a good look at the replay on someone's iPad that Kvyat's career brake failed into the hairpin. From there Sebastian belted to his ex-team's principal Christian Horner. I'm sure it was a "Yo, I'll tell you want I want, what I really really want""something has to be done about him (Kvyat)" conversation. From that point on, it was a pissed off Sebastian, a flailing Ferrari and the petrified FIA stewards. *gulp* Oh to be a fly on that wall!

Either way, the door of opportunity was kicked wide open for Red Bull to put themselves out of their own panic by grabbing, white knuckled, on to Max and never, ever letting go. A move that Max proved Heir Marco a rock solid alibi for phoning Kvyat on his couch. I'm sure the VerStappen clan struck while the iron of was hot, too. All in all though,  I can't help but think that even though Kvyat stepped onto the slippery slope of Formula One unemployment, Sebastian Vettel gave him a quite the ruthless nudge to say "let me start you off."


It makes me echo JB and wonder would this domino effect of no loyalty happen to any other driver? Probably not. So now, what's going to happen to Kvyat? He can't possibly pretend to stay chums with Red Bull and the downgraded Toro Rosso. A second rate, shitty car he will all but fail with. Maybe Putin will pony up the rubles if he's not wrestling a tiger or something and buy Kvyat a seat, but where? I don't think anyone knows just yet but I'm deadly confident it won't be at any table Sebastian Vettel or Helmut Marco is sitting at. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.