Why this moment was important

Leave a Comment

Listen up business men in white shirts of Formula One! ... When you bore us, you lose.


Bear with me here for a second.

I grew up in Scotland. I always joke to people that when you're born in Scotland someone in the family puts a golf club in your hand while another relative starts bouncing a football (soccer ball) against your forehead. It's a joke but it's just barrrrrely a joke. Although I'm not religious at all, I grew up in a Catholic household and as so, you followed Glasgow Celtic. That's how it was. My grandfather followed Celtic. My dad and all his brothers followed "The Hoops" and when my son had to move to Switzerland to do some work, I bought him something everyone moving to Switzerland obviously needs, a Celtic beanie :p


If you ask me about The Bhoys in Green, I can tell you the memory that sticks out in my mind was when I went to a Celtic/Rangers game in the early 70's. I remember my dad giving someone a signal with his head and the ticket agent giving a nod back. My dad's hands came under my arms and helped me jump the turnstile. One child in for free, all transacted in silence. In contrast, that day I remember the sheer noise of it all. The feeling of being surrounded by so many passionate adults all treating me, a kid, as an equal whenever Celtic scored. At that moment, I was part of the sport. I was part of the team. Importantly, I was a loyal fan.

Now, I have no idea who won that game. The score? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't even know how we got there or how we got home for dinner. What sticks in my heart and mind is the unique, drama of it all. The absolute emotional memory of that day's spirit.

Okay, so Lewis and Nico are engaging in an all out battle for this (2016) season's supremacy. Lovin' it. Along comes a hometown victory as Lewis wins the Silverstone race. When Lewis spontaneously comes back to acknowledge the UK fans, you can see the shared experience in their smiles. The photographers scramble. Everyone scrambles. There's a rush of blood and at that moment, regardless of what merchandise the crowd is wearing, they are fans of Lewis Hamilton.

Part of what I think is a problem with current day Formula One is that all the news is about what Bernie has turned this sport into, a business. It's classic tracks with soul and character and so much F1 history being left to rot because of the lack of finances to buy in. It's the empty seats 'cause of ticket prices. It's the less competitive teams being less competitive from being blatantly too damn poor to compete. The knee-jerk reaction of the men in white shirts seems to be to swing the pendulum back to the "glory days" but Lewis understands the new breed and for once we see a driver not bored to death delivering the same answers to the same questions.

Not only did Lewis, and fans, need this reassuring moment of self-esteem but Lewis understood that Formula One needed this moment of social happiness too. This appreciation is the image of intensity we want to get out of Formula One. Not only did Lewis bask in the glory of the win but so did the image of Formula One as an experience. 

Is Lewis Hamilton the best F1 driver ever? No but not yet. Is Lewis Hamilton one of the best F1 drivers ever? Yes, for sure. Will Lewis win in 2016 then? Don't know ... but some teams and fans are going to suffer. Some are going to rejoice, but all fans will keep coming back when they are connected with an exhilarating, Formula One experience. 

In that way, Lewis won.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.